News and Interest
Are you enrolled in Current Use? Here's
what the new tax changes mean to you
1. Prior to Sept.1 each year, each landowner must certify in writing, under oath to the VT. Tax dept. that their land & buildings meet the requirements to be enrolled. Certification CU-313 is due to the Vermont Department of taxes by Sept. 1, 2015. Here is a sample form you should have received from the state.
2. You can be removed from the program If the Agency of Agriculture determines you are in violation of water quality requirements established by law, administrative rule or any permit or certification.
3. The removed land will be valued at a free standing parcel. This use will result in a significantly higher penalty.
4. Removed land will not be eligible for reenrollment for 5 years.
5. You have until October 1, 2015 to withdraw land using the “easy out” option. To help make the application process easier,the Department of Taxes created a checklist. This checklist outlines some of the commonly missed items needed to submit with your application (CU-312).
6. To help guide you Vermont Farm Bureau has created a sample worksheet using a 100 acre parcel as an example.
If you have questions about the process, please contact the Current Use Division at 802-828-5860.
It’s time to Nominate the Best in Agriculture!
Awards will be presented at the Annual Meeting on November 6, 2015 Applications due October 1, 2015. Mail to Vermont Farm Bureau, 117 West Main Street Richmond, VT 05477 or email Ginny Wheeler, email@example.com.
VERMONT CENTURY FARMS
The intent of the program has been to give recognition to farm people of this state who have maintained the home farm in the same family for 100 years or more.
THE CORNWALL AWARD
The Cornwall Award honors the best overall County Farm Bureau program in Vermont.
FARM WOMAN OF THE YEAR AWARD
Selection of the winning farm woman is based on efforts in both the chosen occupation and leadership achievement.
YOUNG FARMER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Selection of the winning Young Farmer individual or family is based on their efforts in both their chosen occupation and leadership achievement.
FARM FAMILY OF THE YEAR AWARD RULES
Selection of the winning farmer (farm family) is based on efforts in both the chosen occupation and leadership achievement.
The Wallace Award is named for past Vermont Farm Bureau President, Keith Wallace and is presented annually in the spirit of recognizing Vermont’s finest agriculturists.
This Saturday, August 22, 2015
Vermont's First Breakfast on the Farm
Nea-Tocht Farm, Ferrisburgh 9am-1pm
An event that the whole family will love! Get outside, tour
a dairy farm, and enjoy a Vermont style breakfast. Pick up
your free tickets from a distributor location or sign up on-line
Save the Date! November 5-7, 2015
Vermont Farm Bureau's 100th Birthday Party
Centennial Celebration and Annual Meeting
"A Family Friendly event at Jay Peak Resort" In celebration of our Centennial status this is a three day celebration. Special room rates for attendees. Trade show and sponsorship opportunities available. Contact Vermont Farm Bureau Administrator Chris O'Keefe at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 802-434-5646.
A block of rooms has been reserved at Jay Peak Resort for Farm Bureau members. Call toll free 1-800-451-4449 reference Vermont Farm Bureau Group code #376593. Rates start at $108.33 (includes tax and resort fee). Family suites are also available with and without admittance to the waterpark.
WANTED YOUNG FARMERS to participate and compete in the Discussion Meet at Vermont Farm Bureau’s Annual Meeting Centennial Celebration in November 2015
2015 Chittenden County Horse Farm of Distinction Award Open to other Counties!
Chittenden County Accepting Applications for the 2015 Horse Farm of Distinction.